I was so excited to find these Mona Lisa jeans on one of my vintage hunts last week! They were only…Read More
Check out this sweater! It was my first Etsy purchase and I’m thrilled with it. The tag says ‘Non Stop’ and…Read More
We’ve been having such nice, warm weather here in LA! I loved bringing out my summery clothes this weekend. I planned…Read More
Happy Monday! These Vaneli boots and 80’s Wilson’s jacket are among my favorite estate sale finds of all time. I…Read More
Here is another one of my ‘sample sale’ finds from last Saturday’s 6am trip to the Garment District. I got this…Read More
As promised, here’s one of my thrifty finds from earlier this week! I love the 60’s shape of this dress mixed…Read More
This is quite a departure from my usual heels! I go through ‘sneaker spells’ where I live in shoes like this…Read More
Every time I wear this Karen Kane blouse I think of that line from Napoleon Dynamite about the big sleeves. I…Read More
Here are those bright yellow sailor pants I found at the J Crew outlet this weekend. I want to play around…Read More
I love the fringe on this suede jacket! I had been wanting this type of jacket for awhile and I usually…Read More
Don’t you just love a good vintage find? Weird, cat-themed artwork and mysterious stains notwithstanding, rummaging through thrift shops is a very fun way to spend a couple of hours.
Fabric and leather can be washed, hard surfaces can be disinfected, upholstery can be replaced, and wood can be refinished. I know we live in an I-want-it-right-now society, but there are some serious treasures to be found, snagged, and cleaned up at thrift shops.
Great thrift store finds are all about getting a fantastic deal on one-of-a-kind items!
Recycling is Our Friend
One of the cool aspects of thrift store hunting is that we are repurposing stuff that other people don’t have a use for. Recycling is always a good thing to do!
– Clothing that’s barely been worn
– Hard to find books
– Old records
– Funky art
– Cool lamps and trunks
– Antique furniture
There are jackpots everywhere!
Great Style is Also Our Friend
The very best part about thrift store hunting is getting to add one-of-a-kind items to your own personal style.
– Old jewelry, scarves, and hats are a sure find in most vintage shops. Plus, evening wear is often found at rock bottom prices.
– If you are handy with a needle, you can even shop outside your normal size, take it home, and tailor it.
– An oversized silk blouse in a unique print is perfect for a pencil skirt with trendy shoes. A gorgeous, sexy little dress that just needs to be adjusted in the hips can become your shopping find of the season.
– Don’t forget the men’s department either. How could anyone say no to purple wingtips? Or suit vests in colors, prints, and fabrics never seen in women’s fashion? Tailor them, add an old broach on a velvet strap, and have a look that is all you.
If you visit a large city, be sure to hit a high-end thrift shop and spend a few hours pawing through the castoffs of the rich and famous. You can take home some amazing travel finds.
Here are some prized clothing items from previous vintage shop excursions:
– 100-year-old, 6-strand, pink pearl cuff
– Plain white, men’s linen shirt
– Short, sequined, turquoise sheath dress that fits like a glove
– A brown tweed men’s suit jacket that feels like coming home
Non-clothing items favorites include an old parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence, a leather and brass decanter from about 150 years ago, and an antique book shelf.
Tricks to Making it Work
1. Stop by often. New stuff comes in regularly. Find a good shop and make it a routine to browse.
2. Shop online. Goodwill has an online store and a separate online book store where there are treasures galore.
3. Sign up. Find your local shops at The Thrift Shopper, check a few out, then sign up for updates from your favorites to keep your finger on what’s available.
People discard their stuff for a million reasons that ultimately don’t matter. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Start digging!